Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wearing blue jeans

Yesterday about 2pm our little family set out on a trip to the capital. My sister and bro-in-law had work to do and I, of course, came along as the nanny. Picture this all you with children: a seven month old who has only taken a couple of 30 minute naps with some kind of minor stomach issue that is keeping dirty diapers coming around the clock, a sick mom, and four other helpless adults locked in a van for 7hrs with only one opportunity for a pit stop. I won’t go into details, but let me just tell you it was an exciting ride where some new funny faces, sounds, and ways to make water bottles amusing were discovered. We will be taking the train back to Rangpur, thank you Lord.

Now one of the most exciting things about the capital city (besides being able to buy foods we can’t get anywhere else – like CHEESE. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember what I ate on a normal basis back home, and suddenly I remembered cheese… what a glorious food) is that because there are so many travelers here you don’t have to wear Bangladeshi clothing. My sister and I have been very excited about this (my brother-in-law could already wear whatever he wanted all the time because he’s a man) and pulled out all our American clothes to sport while we were here. This morning came and I pulled out a normal, fitting, cotton t-shirt and jeans. I put them on with great anticipation. I looked in the mirror: wow, I am soooo American. I look normal! I could be in Abilene right now! I walked around the hotel room. There was no extra fabric hanging down, no designs, it fit! I walked out the door half jogging down the staircase to meet my sister for breakfast in the hotel dinning room. We arrived at the door, and as my sister was opening it I had a mortifying realization: there are other people in the restaurant… they are going to SEE me looking like THIS! There was no way to turn back now as people had already seen me and I needed to take care of Ezra while my sister ate. I walked in and had breakfast feeling awkward the entire time thinking how tight my clothes suddenly seemed and wishing I had an orna to cover up with.

As soon as we were done I ran upstairs and changed into a kameez and orna. Relief immediately followed. I know that western clothes are totally acceptable in Dhaka, but it is amazing how exposed I feel wearing a t-shirt after less than two months here. As frustrating as the clothes can be some times (I’ve already ripped a shalwar and a kameez because of the extra fabric) there is something comforting about being so covered up.
However, I kept the jeans on. Jeans are simply too awesome to give up. So today I am in Bangladesh wearing a kameez and blue jeans and feeling good to be me.

Thank you all for your responses to my plea for help on the blog, they were very helpful! When I have a little more time on the computer I plan to answer the questions you asked.
Oh, but one answer now, the toilet paper here is normal, but most of it is pink – a lot of the tissue is pink too which I find odd. Lots of things are decorative here that aren’t in the states. My favorite is the work/dump trucks. In the U.S. these are generally plain clay-orange, in Bangladesh these are colorfully painted often with elaborate scenes on every side! During the Hindu Durga Puga holiday, we referred to these as “the party trucks” because they would be packed with people in the back riding around jumping up and down and celebrating – I wished I could join them.

Ok, I’m pretty sure my nephew is going to wake up from his nap soon – but I promise one of these days I am going to talk more about learning Bangla.

Till then: Banglavista (word my brother Joe made up to say goodbye before I let for Bangladesh).

Ezra is awake!

5 comments:

  1. My favourite part:
    So today I am in Bangladesh wearing a kameez and blue jeans and feeling good to be me.

    HEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post! It's strange that you could feel at ease in a church service in America and immodest in a restaurant in Bangladesh because of the same outfit. I wonder if you'll pay closer attention to how people are dressed when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emily,Happy to know that you are working in Bangladesh and in my home town Rangpur.How you feel in Rangpur?How the life is?You can mail me at mazedul.islam@gmail.com take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting for me...because to read your blog I saw my country in a different view.I saw my country in the eyes of an American.You can buy white tissue (LOL).I'm agree with you that all the things are more colorful here & this is not good to see all time.I will be a regular reader of your blog,cause it is very interesting for me to know my country from different view.If you want to learn Bangla I can help you.Thank you.Bye.

    ReplyDelete