In this precious moment when I actually have computer access and internet access at the same time, here is what I must say:
I think for the first time in my life I am filled with joy because of the knowledge that I am an American. I am filled with hope because of an election.
Those of you who know me well know I am practically ignorant when it comes to politics and government, but my overflowing heart has little to do with that really. It is because of the people of the United States of America. It is because the whole world has watched a nation that once so completely dehumanized a people that they enslaved them, now hail a man of this same descent as our leader.
I'll say it again, whole world has watched this my friends! For at least the last month everyday in the Bangladeshi paper I read there has been at least one article (and many times more) on the U.S. election. When the outcome was announced the articles read that change had come to America and to the world. That hope was real. Bangladeshi friends I talked with gasped when they heard the news and could not hide their excitement. The front page of the paper had 7 articles about it, one entitled "A US lesson for Bangladesh in positive politics" and another "Dream of US generations personified."
As soon as I heard the news I began praying for our president-elect, who almost literally has the world on his shoulders, and with tears I began thanking my creator that hope and love are alive.
The funny thing is that if you had asked me a few years ago if I thought my country could have a president of African descent I would have said “yes” without a moment's reflection. This answer would have come not from my hope for better days, or my faith in love overcoming racism, but (once again) ignorance. I would have said yes because I had no comprehension of the deep scars that something like the pure evil of slavery could leave on a people. I would have said yes because I was unaware of the sickening inequality and injustice happening all over the world and in my own home town day after day.
But, if only for the moment, a different story has just been told in my homeland. A story I will be glad to tell my whole life. As I confessed before, I still understand little about politics, and little about the man who I will soon call my president. But what I do know is that for once I can say with overwhelming conviction that I am truly blessed to be an American, because I got to see this day and say that I am part of the victory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congratulation...hope Obama will do better.
ReplyDeleteThis makes me very happy and hopeful to read :) Really, I'm smiling as I read this!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Emily :) I don't think I'll be this happy about politics in a long, long time.
ReplyDeleteOh Emily, I loved reading this! The night of the election I watched CNN as they showed the reactions of people from a wide variety of countries, and the excitement and hope they showed on their faces was amazing! I think we often forget about how our elections affect the rest of the world, and how closely they are watching the choices we make.
ReplyDelete