Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Leaf Story


Today I went jogging while autumn leaves glided down around me. I would not be exaggerating to say the experience was idyllic. I recommend the activity to anyone who… well, now that I think about it, just anyone.

Lately I’ve noticed that more than ever before, the outdoors seem to minister to my soul, connecting me to God in ways I haven’t found words for yet. I’ve honestly started leaving my house earlier and earlier to walk places because it has become inevitable that I will be distracted by the beauty and walk progressively slower trying to take it all in. Being on time seems quite insignificant when you are confronted with such splendor. The earth cares not for schedules, and it sucks you into its defiance. Sometimes I fear that if I ever live somewhere more beautiful than Abilene (hold back the derogatory comments please) my senses won’t be able to endure all the stimulation, and I’ll eventually be rendered catatonic with ecstasy. Perhaps a blindfold would be in order… I always thought using a guide dog would be fun…

Though I’ve always had a special affection for trees and the leaves that emanate from them, I’ve been especially enamored with them lately. Their shapes and colors; the silhouettes they make against the sky; bright yellow bunches of pecan leaves and colorful sycamore leaves as big as my face… often I feel compelled to pick them up when I spot especially wonderous ones. But what does one do with a leaf, I wonder? Were I just a little more courageous and less imprisoned by socially dictated norms, I think it would be delightful to give them to people I cross on the path. Not say anything, just run up, place one in their hands, smile, and walk away. Then, I imagine they would look down and discover a red and green oak leaf perhaps, and laugh out loud at this unexpected gift. They’d stop and contemplate it for a moment, then find themselves also compelled to pass the gift on to the next unsuspecting passerby.

And thus my dear leaf would go on its merry way, spreading the seeds of peace and hope with a new awareness that beauty surrounds us and begs us to recognize that the earth reverberates with the love from which it was surely formed.

Big job for a leaf I suppose.
I imagine their up for it though. We’ll talk.

1 comment: