Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ami Khushi!

There are currently quite a few things that I should tell you about (e.g. the huge Muslim Eid holiday that just happened and me watching cows being sacrificed; Ezra making the transition from baby to crazy crawling little boy), but what I have to say is, WE HAVE A BANGLA TUTOR!

We met with her for the first time to plan out our lessons just a moment ago, and we start TOMORROW! The title of this entry says "I am Happy" (or literally "I happy")in Bangla, and friends, I am. I am ECSTATIC actually, but I don't know how to say that in Bangla.

I have not given updates on my Banlga progress mainly because there has not been much of it. I can pretty much get around (buy what I need at markets and introduce myself correctly) but I have yet to have simple conversations entirely in Bangla, and this has driven me crazy.
I am ready for this to change.
It will change.

It is time for cha. More later my friends. More later.

3 comments:

  1. Ami Khushi for you, Emily! This is awesome, and I'm excited to hear how the tutoring goes.

    Sacrificing cows? I didn't know that Muslims sacrificed animals, interesting. I only learned this past week that Bangladesh is pretty Muslim. My Guianese-Indian-American friend Neeta was calling people from Bangladesh "Indian," and I said, "Nuh uh, it's a different country," to which she replied, "Only because the British divided it up," so I said, "But they speak a different language," and she said, "There are lots of different languages in India."

    I decided to settle this later by asking our friend Kunal, an international student who is actually from India. "Hey Kunal, are people from Bangladesh Indian?" He replied, "No, they're Muslim."

    Thank you soooo much for your wonderful comment on my blog post. I'm so glad that you and I can so easily relate to one another's feelings, even when our experiences are often so different, yet not so different? Yes, I do remember some of the existential psychologists talking man's complete aloneness, but I never meditated on it much, but I think it probably is true.

    I'm sad that New Life is closing its doors :( The one time I went, the experience made quite an impact on me and I think helped give me a clear picture of what I wanted from a church, and what I ultimately found in College Station. I was actually just thinking about New Life yesterday, and remembering all that I learned from going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ crackers and cheese, Before 1947 Bangladesh was a part of India. India has a state called "West Bengal", The people of West Bengal and Bangladesh both speak same language. In 1947 some local politicians and British government decided to divide India in two parts. They divide India only for difference of religion. The part of Bangladesh was included with Pakistan because todays Bangladesh was Muslim majority. But at last the religion unable to keep us with Pakistan. Now we are different, we give our blood to save our country & save our Language. India & Russia help us to achieve victory against Pakistan. Today we are different country, we are not Indian not Pakistani. This country is not only for Muslim as your friend Kunal told you. This is the country for all religion. There are many Hindu-Christian-Buddhist & other religious people live together. Thank you.

    ----Mazedul Islam
    Rangpur Bangladesh.

    ReplyDelete