After my long wait it looks like my single days are over, today Jakiralam has asked me to be his wife... or almost. The thing about the language of Bangladesh is that there are no words for "would you." You don't say "would you give me that stapler?" or "would you like to come with me?" It always sounds like a command "give me the stapler", "come with me." And with my western sensibilities it always takes me a moment to realize this is a question, I can say no. So my relationship with Jakiralam started yesterday when I decided to actually stop and say "hello" back to someone. I don't know why but they always seem to want to talk politics (which I know almost nothing about, and even less because they are speaking broken English), and I can tell you it is no fun having to say that I am from "Texas" (they always ask if they know enough English). Then I get to hear all about what they think of our current president. I considered lying and saying I was from Wyoming or something, but I just know it will be the one person who knows something about Wyoming. Anyway, I only chatted with Jarkiralam for a minute yesterday and went on my way thinking nothing of it... then I ran into him again today on my way home.
Jakiralam: "you go to my house, meet my mother and brother."
Me: "uhhhh... what?"
Jakiralam: "you are not married."
Me: "uh. No"
Jakiralam: "why no married?"
Me: "umm...(tyring to think of something that will work with simple language) because I am strong and happy."
Jakiralm: "Oh Em-ee-lee Em-ee-lee, you do not remember my name do you?"
Me: "umm...no."
He preceded to tell me that he was only 30 years old and single and that he had "so much emotion" which I'm guessing meant something to the effect of being in love. I was really caught off guard so I just said "pore dekta hobe" (see ya later) and went into my house.
Rina told me she would tell him off for me tomorrow.
Though everyone here generally keeps a pretty "stoic" attitude, it seems that they get attached really quickly. Rina reminds me everyday that I am her best friend, and now I'm practically engaged. I have got to learn Bangla.
The picture below is of a couple of rickshaws riding by my house, taken from our roof. I really want to get more pictures but actually taking them on the street would be madness. I'd be surrounded by a crowd in no time.

P.S. Thanks for the advice Kelly.
Good story to share, and interesting how everyone get attached so quickly. It's almost like the word and decision of attachment is more important than the emotion behind it, which might explain the stoicism in spite of the quick attachments. You are Rina's best friend because she says that you are, and that's all she needs is her word and to say it, and it becomes true.
ReplyDeleteIn a way, that's a little simpler way of going about friendships and other relationships, and part of me is envious of that simplicity.
It is so great to hear about your day-to-day adventures! Keep on blogging! I may not have been one of the people to ask you to start, but I really hope you won't stop! Plus, think about looking back on this time and having a record of your thoughts and experiences - so fantastic! Love you girl!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, Emily, being strong and happy is no reason not to get married. If whatsisname really loves you, why not go for it?
ReplyDeleteI hope I get an invite to the wedding! :)
ReplyDeleteThe story was so nice."Would you","Please","Excuse me" use of these words in Bangla is very rare.Some people use these but maximum people don't use these.On the other hand when I make any request to any friend or any person who are very close that time we never use these words.I want to know do you use these words with your friends too?
ReplyDelete