This is the issue my friends, it has come to my attention that I am not naturally talented at blogging. Every time I sit down to write I feel overwhelmed. I think: "is what I have to say interesting? am I droning on or not explaining enough? should this be like a journal of my day or do I explore the philosophical and intangible here? IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?" I guess I've realized I am a little blog-shy (possibly akin to the student who wants more freedom with essay writing, but then can't think of a topic when they are given no direction). Since some of you actually asked me to do this, and I do want you to be connected to my experience out here, I feel it is my duty to continue blogging. However, I need help. I will continue trying to find some sort of flow/focus and overcome my phobia, but in the mean time if anyone would like to tell me what sort of things you'd be interested in knowing it would be much appreciated. For now, so this entry isn't totally void of substance, I am going to give a completely random list of experiences and facts that I hope will be interesting. So... in no particular order:
- I was really worried about there being lots of large strange insects in the house out here, but it turns out what we have the most of (besides ants and mosquitoes) is geckos! They are really cute, but they make this really loud sort of clicking noise (who would have thought?) and they especially like to do it at like midnight in my room.
- I sleep with a green mosquito net on my bed and sometimes I pretend I'm sleeping outside in the jungle or something when I get it.
- We have electricity here but it goes out at least 4 or 5 times a day, at which point the guard (which is always posted at the gate to the house) is supposed to go turn on the generator which doesn't provide as much power, but can keep things up at about 75%. When this happens in the night sometimes it is a few minutes before the guard realizes he needs to turn on the generator, and so frequently I will wake up in the night knowing something is terribly wrong but I can't figure out what, then I realize my fan is off and the temperature is rising every second! Anxious moments go by, while I pray for the guard to get up.
- Most men here wear normal western looking clothing (ie t-shirts and jeans, button down the front shirts and slacks) however women wear saris, burkas, or shalwar kameezes (this is what i wear). It is really funny to see men and women going down the street together, it's like two worlds meeting.
- The other day Rina and I were walking to the market and this man stopped to stare at me and he said (in Bangla) "are you a bideshii?" It took me a moment to process this, and just as I was about to answer in the affirmative Rina grabs my hand and pulling me away says "no, she is Bangladeshii." It was great.
-Oooh, another funny moment with Rina: So she is teaching me words all the time, and in one lesson she taught me a few different words for "dirt" (i.e. sand, clay) and she also happened to teach me the word for man (does anyone see where this is going?). So later as I am reviewing the lesson I got mixed up and pointed to some men and said "bahloo" (dirt), then pointed to the dirt and said "mahnoosh" (man). Rina and I laughed so hard that even more people than usual stared at me.
- I have been reading this book called Affluenza that is about "the American consumption epidemic." It is a great read, and especially poignant when living in a poverty stricken place. One of my favorite quotes (which they actually quoted from "anonymous," honestly, what is the point of quoting "anonymously?") is "Americans must live simply so others may simply live."
-Usually we eat some kind of curry fish or chicken with rice and vegetables at our meals. For a while though Rina started trying to "cook American" and made us fried chicken (which still had curry seasoning in it) and french fries three days in a row. We then had to explain to her that Bangladeshiis eat better than the average Americans, and we wanted to stick with the Bangladeshii way. Though - as I have said before - on the whole my food experience has been great, I am really missing cold cereal. Evidently most of the world thinks Americans are crazy for liking cold cereal for breakfast. I don't care though, I love it... ah cereal...
- This past Sunday, after many failed attempts due to language difficulties, I finally attended a service at a little Baptist Christian church here. It was entirely in Bangla but I completely enjoyed it. I have missed church. One of my favorite moments was when the electricity went out (which made it pitch black since the service was at night) and the preacher did not miss a beat, just kept right on. Oh, and when I realized that all the other women had pulled their ornas (big scarf that women where over their chests) over their heads for service and I had not. Ah!
- So a lot of you have been asking me things like "so Emily what do you DO over there?" And the answer: currently not a lot. I know it's ridiculous but mostly I've been reading. I plan to find a place to volunteer, since I only watch Ezra a few days a week, but our living situation has been up in the air. I couldn't start anything not knowing what city I would be living in. It looks like now that we will actually be moving to Gaibandha, a city a couple hours away. It is good to finally know where we will be, but the news is pretty sad because our staff may not be able to come with us, and I had high hopes for being a part of the church here.
- The other day I went to the vegetable/meat market with Rina (which was CRAZY) and for the first time in my life I saw my food alive before I ate it. Very scary.
Ok, that is all for now. I wanted to put some pictures up but the computer is having problems so I am just going to go ahead and get this out.
Asalam Walekum <-The Muslim greeting meaning, "peace be with you."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

First off, I'm surprised to here that you don't think of yourself as a naturally talented blogger. Your first two posts were top-notch for sure. You had a theme or a coherent story to tell, you told it well, and more than just recounting the details, you really put emotion into it and I could empathize with you. I like that a lot, so I encourage you to write what you're feeling. They were a little on the longish side, but it was ok, because the stories flowed well that it didn't seem as long as they first looked.
ReplyDeleteI say, write what interests you, and write what you feel. Explore philosophy and recount your daily adventures - both are equally excited to me. Oh, and when you can pull philosophical and spiritual ideas out of every day occurances, oh man, that is some quality blogging indeed :) Whatever happens, write for yourself, not for your readers. This is hard to do, because you want to entertain and it's sure nice getting comments, but honestly, you will enjoy the blogging experience more if you do it for yourself.
I could probably write an entry full of advice and opinions on what I like and don't like in blogs (and maybe I will), but blogs are very diverse. Browse through any of my blog "brothers and sisters" that I have links to, and you will find poetry, true stories, fictional stories, philosphical wonderings, youtube videos, songs, random links, random observations, movie reviews, book reviews, prayer requests, recipes, descriptions of the weather, pictures of pets, vacation pictures, you name it, people blog about it. If it's interesting and meaningful to you, then it'll probably interest and hold meaning for your friends who read your blog.
Also, the blogosphere can become a strange nice little community if you let it, so I encourage you to read and comment on your friend's blogs, their friend's blogs, random blogs, whatev. You may find some inspiration for something that you want to write or a style that you connect with, and you may find a new friend who also wants to read and comment on your blog.
I love you Em, keep writing! Also, I enjoyed all the little slices of life that you shared in this post. In the future, maybe you could post these stories and observations as they happen, when they're fresh on your mind. It's just my personal preference, but I enjoy reading short posts that my friends post every few days, though long updates every once in a while are certainly nice too. But in between philosophical musings, a fun little story about the meat market or electricity is definitely a treat!
I love hearing all of your stories, Emily. Keep it up. I'm especially fascinated by your friendship with Rina, and I'm sad that you might move a couple hours away from her!
ReplyDeleteTell us more about the worship service at church sometime. I'd love to hear what that is like. I think it would be really neat to sit there and not know what was being said except that God was being praised.
That Affluenza book sounds good. Being here in Boston has been a really nice vacation from STUFF. The four of us came here with only one suitcase for a month. The kids have about 6 little toys (as opposed to the hundreds at home) and we have no car. I absolutely love it.
My Dear Angel Emily, there si no right or wrong way to blog. Personally, I look at it as more of a journal and figure people will read it if they want. Some write more like a report, and that works for some as well.
ReplyDeleteAll i know is that your experiences and insights are fascinating! Please do keep it up, my love!
We have a mosquito net over our bed, and sometimes I pretend like I'm sleeping in the jungle too. I'm glad we're both cool like that :)
ReplyDeleteShoot. I was hoping the Bangla words for "man" and "ground" (which this male prefers to "dirt") looked or sounded alike. Which would be very biblical as "adam" probably comes from "adamah" (ground, land).
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great blogwise. Just keep doing what you're doing because there is not blogfairy who makes these things happen without your participation.
Hi Emily i don't know that i have spelled your names correct, I have found you when i gave a search about "tattoo in Bangladesh".
ReplyDeleteI am a student of North South University, Kamal ataturk avnue, Bnani in Dhaka city. your Blogs are so nice happy to help you you in any way, if you need.
I just liked you by reading your blog.
anyway max_ed_maddy@yahoo.co.in is my email address.
oh! i forgot my name is John Maxwell Gomes , enjoy living in Bangladesh.Bye
At first wanna say you Walaikum Salam.Cause you give us Salam at end of your post.I'm glad that I find your positive thinking about Bangladesh in all of your posts.Its true that the problems of electricity is very disgusting in the summer when the weather is so hot.I hate hot weather...so in summer I wish if I born in a cold country so it will be better for me.But I love Bangladesh and Rangpur too.I born here & wanna die here.Thank you.
ReplyDelete